RIGMAR is dedicated to making a continuous effort to increase awareness of health, safety and care for the environment in the oil and gas industry.
In order to provide guidance to its entire staff in achieving this number-one priority, a number of company policies have been formulated. These policies deal with the specific areas of health, safety, security, working conditions, sustainable development, environment protection and employee behavior.
1. Safety and Security Policy
RIGMAR’s Safety and Security Policy focuses on reducing risk and creating a secure working environment by means of preventive measures and by increasing the protection of employees and materials.
RIGMAR is committed to the following:
- In the area of safety:
- Aiming to have zero accidents across all the company’s activities;
- Communicating directly and openly with all employees and other staff involved in RIGMAR’s activities, providing advice and promoting best practices for operations and work sites;
- Establishing contingent intervention plans and procedures that will enable a fast and effective response to the various types of accidents that might occur. These plans and procedures are updated as necessary following regular accident drills;
- Promoting accident feedback, including that related to near miss, to highlight (potential) risks and consequences;
- Ensuring that all employees receive the appropriate training to carry out their tasks without risk on a regular basis.
- In the area of security:
- Conducting all security operations in full compliance with national and international standards and in accordance with human rights principles;
- Implementing dedicated programs for employees at all its sites worldwide to the highest security levels are maintained;
- Promoting a culture and awareness of security amongst all employees at all levels within the company.
- In both areas:
- RIGMAR’s centralized crisis management team maintains and regularly updates contingency plans to be implemented in case of emergencies.
- Ensuring that subcontractors’ safety and security policies and practices are on a par with those of RIGMAR.
- Establishing and applying risk management processes that conform with international standards applicable to its fields of activities.
- Carrying out regular specific audits in order to evaluate its safety performance and monitor its security systems.
2. Health and Industrial Hygiene Policy
RIGMAR guarantees a healthy working environment and rigorously observed on-site hygiene norms for all its employees, at all its sites and for all its activities.
RIGMAR undertakes the following commitments in the area of health and industrial hygiene:
- To assess workstation risks in relation to the company’s references, principles and practices.
- To reduce health risks to the absolute minimum possible at all RIGMAR sites.
- To identify and assess the risks linked to products used during the course of its activities.
- To ensure the availability of all necessary personal protection equipment, such as respiratory equipment, masks and hearing protection, in the pertinent quantity and quality.
- To prevent work-related illnesses wherever possible by applying and improving appropriate techniques and practices.
- To inform its employees of any potential chemical risks and the precautions to be taken when using, transporting and/or storing such materials.
- To promote sound and healthy behavior with regard to infectious and/or viral diseases, such as AIDS, malaria and type A influenza.
- To evaluate and combat work-related stress with the objective of establishing a healthy and satisfying work environment for all its employees.
- To provide regular medical check-ups for RIGMAR employees in conjunction with occupational medical services.
3. Decent Working Conditions Policy
RIGMAR is committed to applying (and ensuring that its subcontractors apply) the fundamental principles of the declaration of the International Labor Organization. These principles relate primarily to child labor, forced labor, working conditions, labor rights and equality and discrimination as well as to health and safety at work.
To abide by these principles RIGMAR declares that it is strongly committed to:
- Never making children or teenagers below the age of 18 years work.
- Providing a decent and productive workplace, with complete freedom of expression and social protection for all its employees.
- Promoting equality of work and career opportunities and equal treatment for women and men in all its activities;
- Ensuring a safe and healthy working environment is provided for all its employees and promoting these standards every 28th April during the World Day for Safety and Health at Work.
- Denouncing and combating any type of forced labor.
- As a minimum adhering to and applying local labor legislation and regulations as well as the principles and standards of the International Labor Organization.
- Combating any form of discrimination in all its activities.
4. Vehicle Driving Policy
RIGMAR does everything possible to prevent motorized vehicle accidents.
To minimize accident risk, RIGMAR is committed to:
- Formally obliging all employees, including those of subcontractors, consultants and temporary staff to wear seat belts at all times in the company’s vehicles.
- Requiring all employees driving a company vehicle to carry a valid driving license and international driving license issued by a recognized authority.
- Requiring all drivers to respect all local traffic regulations.
- Strictly forbidding the use of a telephone whilst driving.
- Equipping all company vehicles with driver-side airbags, and, where possible, passenger-side airbags.
- Requiring that every driver employed by a Subsidiary and/or Joint-venture has received instruction on the local usage conditions prevailing in the relevant country as well as training in “defensive driving” techniques before driving one of the company’s own or rented vehicles.
- Expressly forbidding the driving of a vehicle under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Carrying out systematic testing in the case of any accident.
- Insisting on reverse parking at all Subsidiaries and Joint-ventures (to be ready to start).
- Considering any attempt to thwart or dispense with any of the above rules to be unacceptable and, therefore, reprehensible.
5. Policy against Substance Abuse
RIGMAR is fully committed to ensuring that all employees are fully aware of the hazards that alcohol and drugs may cause in work environments.
To minimize such substance risks RIGMAR is committed to:
- Absolutely forbidding the consumption of drugs or alcohol on working sites at any time.
- Expressly forbidding the possession or distribution of alcohol, drugs or other illicit substances on working sites.
- Assisting and supporting employees who seek beneficial treatment in cases of problematic substance or alcohol dependence.
- Requiring individuals who state that they possess of consume illicit substances on medical grounds to present a relevant medical prescription on demand.
- Carrying out tests systematically in the case of an accident where there is a suspicion of drugs and/or alcohol consumption.
- Carrying out search of vehicles should the presence of illicit substances be suspected.
- Carrying out systematic testing of persons involved in riskful work (f.e. driving vehicles, handling hazardous products, operating a forklift, offshore and onshore activities, working at height, operating rotating machinery), if alcohol or drug consumption is suspected.
- Requiring assurances from all subcontractors that they adhere to appropriate equivalent policies and procedures’ as outlined here, that enable them to manage any substance abuse that may arise under their responsibility in a satisfactory manner.
- Ensuring that everyone, at every level within the company, understands that jeopardizing their own or other peoples’ safety by not respecting this policy, could result in severe disciplinary measures being implemented.
6. HIV/AIDS Policy
RIGMAR fully realizes that HIV/AIDS is an epidemic that can affect individuals at any level of society and that has complex socio-economic implications and consequences.
RIGMAR, therefore, actively supports and encourages all measures and initiatives aimed at preventing and reducing the spread of this sickness.
RIGMAR is committed to:
- Providing its employees with the necessary information concerning the various aspects of HIV via information and training programs dealing with various HIV preventive measures and practices. The information and programs are updated regularly to ensure they keep abreast of medical advances in AIDS-related fields.
- Not tolerating any form of discrimination whatsoever against any employee who may be, or may be suspected of, suffering from the HIV virus. Any such discrimination is deemed unacceptable and will incur sanctions.
- Never requiring HIV testing as a prerequisite to the hiring of an individual.
- Never obliging employees to notify the company that they are HIV positive. Should RIGMAR become aware that an employee has been tested HIV positive, the Company will ensure maximum confidentiality on the matter.
- Allowing neither HIV infection nor AIDS to be used as grounds for the breach of contracts.
7. Sustainable Development Policy
RIGMAR’S sustainable development policy is at the core of the Company’s governance strategy, which is aimed at achieving responsible economic growth, environmental footprint mitigation and social progress.
In order to support its commitments RIGMAR upholds the United Nations Global Compact Initiative and the related ten principles and is committed to:
- Operating transparently and taking into account, communicating regularly with and respecting the fundamental rights of all its stakeholders.
- Creating greater economic value while complying with its business conduct code and ethical policy, implementing and promoting anti-bribery & anti-corruption practices.
- Operating in harmony with its natural environment and the communities in the neighborhood of its work sites.
- Providing its employees with opportunities to involve themselves in the improvement of RIGMAR’s performance by enhancing awareness of and providing training in the area of sustainable development.
8. Environment Protection Policy
The environment is of major concern to RIGMAR in all of its activities.
RIGMAR upholds the United Nations Global Compact Charter & the Rio declaration on Environment and Development and strives to minimize the company’s environmental footprint.
Towards this end RIGMAR undertakes to:
Ensure regulatory requirements and RIGMAR standards are respected by executing periodic environmental reviews and by deploying environment management systems at all sites.
Comply with regulatory requirements and clients’ requirements relating to the protection of the environment.
Communicate environmental impact assessment & reporting to RIGMAR’s main stakeholders (including employees and customers).
Develop and implement training and education programs on the environmental protection good practices for all employees.
Reduce waste production and promote and maximize recycling and the traceability of ultimate waste products;
Minimize the release of pollutants into the air, water or soil as far as possible.
Reduce emissions, noise, dust, odor and other elements that may damage the environment.
Reduce the company’s energy consumption in accordance with regularly updated targets, enhance employee awareness of the rational use of energy and use renewable energy sources where feasible.
Maintain the ongoing objective of continuously improving the company’s environmental performance.
Assess specific risks and implement a crisis management plan for emergency pollution situations; periodically review and improve this plan.